From the grill: Delicious kebab and chicken with Syrian flavours
The secret is ”seven spices”, a mixture from the Middle East. With white pepper, black pepper, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg , ginger and cloves – when you grill both delicious chicken and kebab.
With acidity from the lemon and flavours from seven spices, parsley and grilled tomatoes, you can add a Syrian touch to the summer's grill sessions.
– I've marinated the lamb for two hours, in a marinade from the Middle East, says Abdullan Fallaha.
– Just like the chicken. The longer you marinate it, the better it tastes.
If you don't have an outdoor grill, you can always grill meat in the oven. In any case there will be plenty of smoky, juicy flavours, guaranteed. Maybe a bit less moist than on an outdoor grill, but tasty nevertheless.
Abdullah and his family live at Gamlegården. They've bought an allotment at Nosaby.
– We want to stay here, says his wife, Fatima Fallaha.
750 g minced lamb or beef
1 finely-chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 dl finely-chopped flat-leaved parsley
1 tsp 'seven spices'
1. Put the meat into a bowl.
2. Mix the chopped onion and garlic and the chopped parsley.
3. Mix with the meat in the bowl.
4. Add salt and all the spices and blend well.
5. With wet hands, form the meat into little 'sausages' about 10 cm. long. Thread them onto skewers.
6. Grill the skewers all round for 3–4 minutes.
Serve with salad greens and/or hummus.
4 chicken breasts
1 tbsp paprika powder
6 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp tomato puree
Juiced of 1 lemon
4 tbsp olive oil
0.75 dl Greek yoghurt
1 tsp salt
1. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and cover with plastic foil. Leave for a couple of hours in the fridge or at room temperature for half an hour to let the flavours develop.
2.Thread the meat onto a skewer.
3. Grill 3-4 minutes on either side. In oven: Place the skewers on a baking tray and sprinkle with olive oil. Put the tray in the middle of the oven, which is pre-heated to 175 ' Grill the skewers for about 15 minutes.
4. Lay some pita bread on a tray, cover with parsley salad, then place the newly-grilled skewers on top. Serve at once!