27-year-old Robin died of corona
Their Robin will never again open the door and let in the light that most often followed him like a ray of sunshine.
Never again look forward to meeting family and friends. Never again take out his golf clubs and play a round.
Robin died of corona on 8th April. A young man in excellent health, with a strong heart.
His family are still in shock over what happened. But they want to talk about it.
”He was ill, but not in an alarming condition”Corrina, Robin´s mother
– We want to make everyone understand how corona hits. We want people of all ages to take it seriously. Corona is dangerous, and it can affect anyone, says his sister Sophia, who, along with her sister Linnea, misses her big brother enormously.
The family think Robin caught the infection at IFK Kristianstad’s last match in front of spectators at the beginning of March. He loved handball.
A few days later he phoned his mother Corrina and complained of being feverish and having pains all over his body. They both thought it was the flu.
– He wondered if it might be corona, but neither of us thought so. How could he have been infected?
Robin lay with a high temperature, about 40 degrees, for nine days. He rang 1177 and was told to stay at home. If he had breathing problems, he could ring again.
– He was ill, but not in an alarming condition, says Corrina.
On 14th March they spoke to each other, everything was all right. A few hours later he complained of having a bad cough and not being able to breathe.
– I heard how short and shallow his breathing was Then he suddenly said, ”I can’t go on, I can’t breathe”.
”When I wake up every morning I think I’ve had a nightmare. Until I realise it’s all real”Thomas, Robin´s father
Both his parents rushed home to him. The ambulance arrived quickly. Robin had a temperature of 41.3 degrees.
He was admitted to the emergency department and was soon transferred to the intensive care unit. They thought he had double pneumonia. To be on the safe side, they did a corona test.
– It was positive. Robin was given oxygen, and it felt as if he was in safe hands.
Next day his condition had deteriorated. Robin was anaesthetised and put in a respirator.
Robin lay anaesthetised for eleven days. On 21st March he had a temperature of 42.8 degrees. They tried to cool him down, and he was put on dialysis, .
– The dialysis didn’t help either. The corona poison had affected his whole body, explains Thomas.
Four times the family, in complete protective clothing, visited him.
The first weekend in April his blood pressure went up to 280, and he showed no reactions. There was no activity in his brain. On 8th April the family were told that Robin could not be any more seriously ill.
– Can he get better, I asked, and the doctor said no. That’s when I understood, says Corrina.
Two hours later, at 6 pm on 8th April, doctors turned off the respirator . Five minutes later Robin’s strong heart stopped beating.
The family were holding his hand. They praise the IVA staff and call them angels, but they were surprised to see how they worked. With their dear Robin. With the Robin who had been in good health. Who had a wide circle of friends, with a heart that had room for many. They all miss him.
Robin’s family are upset that a lot of people are taking the infection so lightly, as if it doesn’t concern them.
– But it concerns everyone. When I wake up every morning I think I’ve had a nightmare. Until I realise it’s all real.