Tried to kill nio people at shopping centre – three young men suspected
On Thursday 3rd August 2021 three persons were shot and injured at Gamlegården shopping centre. The suspects were wearing dark clothing and all three were on a motorcycle.
”Outside the shopping centre were also a number of other people who could have been hit”Marie-Louise Holmberg, district prosecutor
The three people who had been shot were taken to CSK with serious injuries, but no lives were lost.
– There were several people outside the shopping centre who could also have been hit, without being in the direct line of fire, says district prosecutor Marie-Louise Holmberg in a press notice.
On 14th September four youths were apprehended, of whom three have been held in custody since then.Two of the boys were 17 when they were arrested.
The three youths, today 17,18 and 21 years old, have now been charged with the attempted murder of nine people. In the indictment it states that the men tried to shoot nine people, of whom three were hit. A woman in her 60s received shot wounds to her cheek and neck, among other places.
Events since the shots were fired
• Young people between 15 and 18 are not allowed to be held in custody for more than three months while awaiting charges. But Kristianstad district court makes several exceptions and allows the two under-age youths to be held for longer (the 18-year-old was 17 when he was taken into custody). In December the Court of Appeal approved the decision of the district court to keep the teenagers under arrest.
• The18-year-old has recently been informed that he is suspected of nine cases of attempted murder and several cases of causing danger to others. He and the 17-year-old were previously suspected of three cases of attempted murder. Suspicions against the 21-year-old concern a case of attempted murder.
• During the time he has been in custody suspected of being involved in the shootings the 21-year-old has appeared in court in two other trials. In one case he was convicted of drugs offences, in the other he was acquitted.
In the course of the investigation the number of possible victims has grown. At the beginning of March there were 14 different victims, some who were physically injured but also persons who were at risk in the shooting.
• In all, eight persons are suspected of crime.
According to what the newspaper was told during the shooting incident, witnesses are reported to have heard from eight to ten shots. The shot woman was bleeding so much she thought she would die, witnesses told Kristianstadsbladet/Norra Skåne.
The 17-year-old, the 18-year-old and the 21-year-old have also been charged with causing danger to others – they fired several shots in a public place, thus putting several people's life at risk.
The teenagers are also suspected of a serious weapons offence - they used two loaded weapons without being entitled to do so. A 24-year-old man and a 22-year-old woman have been charged with sheltering a criminal. They are suspected of having disposed of evidence and of washing their clothes.
The 18-year-old has also been charged with petty money-laundering and weapons offences since the police found 60,500 crowns in cash,and also tear- gas, among his possessions in his home. Gold jewellery to a sum of 59,000 crowns was also found. A police identity tag, body armour police shirts and encrypted telephones were also found in the 18-year-old's home.
The trial will be held in Malmö.
The trial will take place in the security room in Rättscentrum in Malmö.
The first day of the trial is 28th March 2022. The final day is planned for 25th April, with 26th April 2022 as reserve.
As it looks now, the trial will be open to the public.