Hero couple in fire: "We’re happy that we were able to help"
The fire broke out on Wednesday the 24th of March at Göingehem's senior housing complex on Västergatan in Glimåkra. The Ispas couple alerted SOS.
”He was breathing, that was the important thing”Zlatinca Ispas
– We were at home, out working in our little garden, says Zlatinca Ispas. Then we saw smoke and ran to see what it was. We found a man sitting on a balcony leaning against the window. If we got there just one or two minutes later, then ... then the fire would have cracked the window.
Valentin Ispas helped the man; Zlatinca quickly rang 112. They took the older man to safety.
– He was okay, says Zlatinca. He was breathing, that was the important thing.
Staff from the home-care service came and sat with the man.
”I ran and said to everyone: out, out, out!”Zlatinca Ispas
Zlatinca warned more people at the residence.
– I ran and said to everyone: out, out, out!
The man was taken to hospital by ambulance. When the emergency services arrived, Valentin and Zlatinca went home.
– Yes, there was nothing else we could do. We’re glad that we were able to help. We would’ve liked to do more, but we couldn’t. It wasn’t possible to put the fire out. The fire was burning too intensely.
The home-care staff paid us a visit.
– They came here and thanked us for the help, asked if we were the ones who helped out.