70 people from 15 associations in Östra Göinge have completed a basic course for night patrols. Each association will do four night patrols during the year. “It’s great that there’s such great interest,” says Camilla Leo Malmberg, a field worker in the municipality.
Östra Göinge/Broby • Artikeln publicerades 4 februari 2020
– More adults are needed on the streets and squares, says Janne Lundholm from the Nattvandring.nu foundation. He’s the one who trained 70 Göingar’s how to carry out night patrols.
Camilla Leo Malmberg and the municipality's other field worker, Henrik Sävström, carry out the night patrols in the municipality. The idea is that the patrols will start later this spring.
Sparbanken Skåne has donated 100,000 crowns to the project. The associations will divide the money.
– We hope that the associations will think it’s fun to night patrol so that they carry out a few extra night patrols, but without pay, says Janne Lundholm. He is the Head of Operations for the foundation and the driving force.
Today there are 50,000 night patrollers in Sweden who patrol in 380 groups. The main task of a night patroller is to provide security for young people.
– It's about caring, being visible and being able to provide support when needed, says Janne Lundholm.
The idea of night patrols is to create positive relationships with young people. Then we can have a safer environment.
– It's not about playing police. A night patroller never intervenes.
– Night patrolling gives a very positive return. And young people want us to be out there.
A night patroller should never talk about what happens during the night patrols outside of the group.
– Remember that we are only adults who care.