Vaccination soon for the over -65's
It is almost a year since the first case of covid-19 was discovered in Skåne, on 2nd March. A student who was a bit off colour and who recovered after a couple of weeks.
– Nobody could foresee what was to come. Nobody could predict how many would be affected, all the relatives, Alf Jönsson, regional director, says at a press conference.
– In April we had 550 who were infected, in the first wave, until the summer, 6,000. Since October another 100,000 have been infected. The situation is serious, and to reduce the spread of infection the usual advice is still what counts, he went on.
”One positive piece of news is that there can be a longer interval between Astra's two vaccinations, now we can wait for 9-12 weeks before giving the second dose”Maria Landgren, vaccine co-ordinator
Vaccine co-ordinator Maria Landgren said there was a considerable difference from what had previously been promised.
– In February we got 20 per cent of what we had been promised. Astra Zeneca's vaccine is the one that has not been delivered as promised. In March it fell short by 40 per cent. Now we are getting new signals that Astra's may be further delayed, but it is too early to make any comments on that, Landgren went on to say.
– One positive piece of news is that there can be a longer interval between Astra's two vaccinations, now we can wait for 9-12 weeks before giving the second dose.
Vaccination in all care homes in Skåne is also practically complete, as well as in home care and the home help service. The hospitals are vaccinating home help workers , and they will soon be finished with that.
– This means that in March we can go over to phase two. Primary health care will start with everyone over the age of 65, beginning with the oldest.
More information at 1177.se/en