University's plan to move to the city centre is fixed
– We want to create an open campus environment, close to city life, the train station and Tivoli Park, says the Vice-Chancellor of the University, Håkan Pihl.
”Now it's time to take a position. Does the municipality want us to move to the city centre”Håkan Pihl, Vice-Chancellor of the University
The university has worked on plans to move to central Kristianstad for five years, to the Tivoli bathhouse plot when the bathhouse is demolished.
Håkan Pihl, Ulf Kvist, Chairman of the Steering Group for the university's city campus, and Per Persson, Project Manager, explain how this will take place.
Bröderna Persson AB's has proposed that Kristianstad University should take over Galleria Boulevard's premises. But the university is much more interested in the Barbacka area when the Tivoli bathhouse will be demolished.
The municipality's feasibility study gives a clear answer: it’s possible to build a university in the area.
”We need spaces that allow for anything from two to 200 students”Håkan Pihl, Vice-Chancellor of the University
– Now it's time to take a position. Does the municipality want us to move to the city centre and do they want to work with us on this, Håkan Pihl wonders.
The university has signed a cooperation agreement with the real estate company Intea, who according to the plans will be responsible for the construction. Now all that remains before the university can build is the plot.
The university's premises in Näsby are built for a regiment.
– Today we have too few big rooms and too few small rooms. We need spaces that allow for anything from two to 200 students, says Håkan Pihl.
”If no one appeals the zoning plan, it should be ready in autumn 2025”Per Persson, Project Manager
27,000 square metres are required for the new university in the Barbacka area, plus 1,000 square metres for a restaurant space. But a decision about the plot is missing. On Monday, October 19th, the university's management will meet with the municipality's leading politicians.
– Now it's time to take a position. Does the municipality want us to move to the city centre?
If the municipality gives its green light and support, when can the university relocate to the Tivoli bathhouse plot?
– If no one appeals the zoning plan, it should be ready in autumn 2025, Per Persson answers.