Pupils to be helped up from low level – start autumn 2022
Pupils in Östra Göinge municipality have very low grades. It has been like that for 20 years. For the past year politicians have been dealing with the problem. A schools preparatory group of seven politicians is in charge.
And now there is a plan of action already – and everyone is to be involved.
”We're talking about high expectations on all sides”Daniel Lyckestam Jönsson (M)
Merete Tillman, head of the municipal council, has picked up the baton from the politicians. She will ensure that there will be agreement in the whole of the municipality about the important work in schools, among politicians and all the way out to pupils in their classrooms, and to their parents.
The objective is clear – that it is important to succeed in school.
– It 's a question of attitudes and a culture that must be changed, says Tillman.
A school preparatory group of seven politicians has worked on the question of how to raise grades in classes 1 - 9 in Östra Göinge. During the past year they have given information and interviewed 200 inhabitants, 60 pupils and 200 teachers. Pupils in classes 1- 9 in Östra Göinge are second-last in the country and last in Skåne.
School-leavers from class 9 have 190 merit points on average. The average in Sweden is 230 points.
Half of all the pupils are unable to get a place in an upper secondary school, or do not complete their course of studies. The average grade has been at the same low level for 20 years.
Only 57 per cent of the pupils know what they ought to know in class 6.
The politicians have set a target that by 2030 the pupils will reach 230 merit points. Today the merit point average for pupils in class nine is 190. The average for Sweden as a whole is 230.
Everyone living in the municipality is to be included.
– We're talking about high expectations on all sides. Other municipalities have been able to improve their schools - if others can do it, so can we, says Daniel Jönsson Lyckestam, (M), chairman of the schools preparatory group.
”It's all about being bold enought to try out different things”Daniel Lyckestam Jönsson (M)
He is satisfied with the suggestion.
– It's all about being bold enought to try out different things, and not being afraid to make mistakes, says Daniel Jönsson Lyckestam, commenting on the fact that the municipality is second-bottom in the country.
There will be a kick-off in the autumn, a ”skolgille”. Then we'll mark that the road to 230 points in 2030 starts here.
– We've been out in the schools and spoken to the staff. Everyone is eager to get starterd, says Daniel Jönsson Lyckestam.
Things to be done:
1. Big reading campaign
.– Reading is the basis of everything that is dine in school. If a child has reading problems, this must be followed up at an early stage., says Daniel Jöbsson Lyckestam.
– Ther are children who come to school who don't know their colours and can't count up to five. We can¨t have that, says Merete Tillman.
2. Books are to be bought in
The municipality will buy in books. Parents, grandparents, culture projects* and the library must all help. A week off school for reading will be introduced.
3. Order and good study atmosphere
Rules for behaviour, what rules apply, how to provide a good learning atmosphere for the pupils.
4. Projects in the schools
Mölleskolan in Sibbhult will test setting grades in class four.
Kviingeskolan in Hanaskog will try out a two-teacher system.
Glimåkraskolan willl concentrate on the classroom milieu, pareticularly sound and light.
All children in classes 1-9 in Östra Göinge will be given a mid-morning snack. At present many children come to school on an empty stomach.