GDPR Illustration

Ta del av våra användarvillkor

Med dataskyddsförordningen GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) har vi uppdaterat våra användarvillkor så att det framgår vilka uppgifter vi samlar in från dig – och vad vi använder dem till. När du besöker våra webbplatser och appar samlar vi in uppgifter från dig för att förbättra din användarupplevelse. Det inkluderar även vilka annonser vi visar för dig.

  1. Svenska
  2. English
  3. العربية

"I urged my son to jump out of the window – away from the fire"

Last Friday, a house was burned to the ground in Hanaskog.
One of the children was still upstairs in the house while the fire was raging. The fire and rescue service had not arrived.
When the boy was too afraid to jump, his dad repeatedly urged him: "Yes, jump, trust me."
Hanaskog • Publicerad 10 maj 2022 • Uppdaterad 10 maj 2022
Familjen bor nu på hotell.
Familjen bor nu på hotell.Foto: Lasse Ottosson

When the dad embraced his son in his arms, the blisters on his burnt hands burst.

– I was prepared to risk my own life and get him. There was a cloud of smoke between us, the flashlight on the mobile phone was not helping and I couldn’t run into the smoke with my eyes open. But then I heard him trying to jump and so I ran out.

The day after the fire, both parents describe how it felt like a dream – a nightmare.

They lost all their belongings and their home in an instant. They did not even manage to take anything to put on their feet and were barefoot; even after their hospital stay.

Skador efter branden.
Skador efter branden.Foto: Lasse Ottosson

– Just three hours before the fire, we were living the dream life. The children were jumping on the trampoline and playing in the playhouse. And now we have nothing left. Everything we love and have accumulated over the years is gone. It's ash, you can’t even identify a few things, says the dad.

The family have five children. The boy who was stuck upstairs is 8-years-old. The eldest, a 15-year-old girl, was with a friend in Knislinge when the fire broke out. The dad says that it was their 10-year-old son who first discovered the fire.

The son was jumping on the trampoline with a friend when he saw smoke coming from the house. The parents were sitting in the living room and were starting to wind down with a movie as it was Friday.

The youngest children, one and two years old respectively, has just been put to bed and were sleeping in their parents' bedroom.

Villan brann ner till grunden fredagen den 6 maj, på lördagsförmiddagen rök och pyrde det fortfarande i husresterna.
Villan brann ner till grunden fredagen den 6 maj, på lördagsförmiddagen rök och pyrde det fortfarande i husresterna.Foto: Paola Nordgren
Huset brann ner till grunden.
Huset brann ner till grunden.Foto: Mikael Persson

– When our son ran in to tell us about the smoke, he passed our bedroom and saw that the smoke was coming from there. He asked us, "Why are you sitting here when I see smoke coming from the bedroom? says the dad.

The parents ran there. Their bed was engulfed in flames. The mum took the two small children and left the house while the dad tried to suffocate the fire with a blanket.

– But it didn’t work, the blanket caught fire and I burnt myself on my hands and other parts of my body.

Huset blev övertänt fredagen den 6 maj. I dag finns bara ruiner kvar.
Huset blev övertänt fredagen den 6 maj. I dag finns bara ruiner kvar.Foto: Mikael Persson

His thought was to make sure everyone was safe and to gather everyone in one place. That is when he was faced with the dilemma of how to reach his son who was upstairs; the solution was for the boy to jump out of the window.

– The police arrived first, they said that the fire and rescue service would arrive in 15 minutes, he says.

The dad’s voice broke when he told of how the help was delayed.

– My plan was to take the water hose from the garden, pull it into the house and just let the water run. But it was very strange; there was no water when I opened the tap, not in the house either. And there were no problems earlier in the evening.

Do you have any idea what may have caused the fire?

– No, no idea.

Åsa BorglinSkicka e-post
Så här jobbar Mosaik Kristianstadsbladet med journalistik. Uppgifter som publiceras ska vara korrekta och relevanta. Vi strävar efter förstahandskällor och att vara på plats där det händer. Trovärdighet och opartiskhet är centrala värden för vår nyhetsjournalistik.