High school restructure – schools to move to the Galleria: costs 505 million
We have been working on this for over a year. It is a well-prepared proposal, says Daniél Tejera (L), Chairman of the Children and Education Board.
In 2021, the municipality made the decision to buy the C-section of Galleria Boulevard, which has been empty since it was built in 2015.
The purchase was based on the idea of using the premises for a new municipal high school. In connection with this, there was an opportunity to review the entire high school organisation and this summer a proposal was put forward for a "total makeover".
It resulted in a decision being made that four high schools will become three and Österänggymnasiet will be shut down (see fact box). It was also made clear that the three schools should have clear profiles and that each school should have university preparatory programmes introductory programmes and special education programmes.
What was unclear at the time was where the Restaurant Management and Food Programme would be located as there were two different options.
Now the Children and Education Board has decided that the program will move into the future school in Galleria Boulevard.
– We have been working on this for over a year. It is a well-prepared proposal and now it is clear that there will be two high schools in the centre of Kristianstad and one where Wendes is located today, which will eventually be expanded, says Daniél Tejera (L), Chairman of the Children and Education Board, and continues :
– All three schools have university preparatory programs, introductory programs and upper secondary special schools, and I think that is very good.
The new high schools
Söderport, Communication and Health:
• Sciences, social sciences, economics, children and leisure, health and social care, sales and service, language introduction, vocational introduction, upper secondary speical school.
• About 1,390 students.
The Galleria, creativity and innovation:
• Sciences, social sciences, technology, International baccalaureate, aesthetic, restaurant management and food, handicraft program, hotel and tourism, individual option, vocational introduction, upper secondary special school.
• About 1,330 students.
Norra Åsum (Wendesgymnasiet), sustainability and entrepreneurship:
• Sciences, technology, construction, electricity and energy, vehicles and transport, industrial technology, plumbing and real estate, vocational introduction, upper secondary special school.
• About 910 students.