Favorit Restaurang och Café opens its doors on a flavourful trip
The restaurant's inspiration comes from the rich culture of the Middle East , which is clearly shown in the food that is served. The menu is a mix of classic western food and dishes and flavours from the Middle East, with the emphasis on grilled.
– Good food at good prices. Everyone should be able to afford to come here, says Mustafa Zrein.
At lunchtime the restaurant is filled with people who want to try out different kinds of food such as kebab, falafel and hummus. Many say they are glad that there is a restaurant that serves food that they would not otherwise have the chance to taste.
– We have a menu that is a mixture of recipes from the Middle East and traditional Swedish food such as meatballs and things like that. Everything is made from as natural ingredients as possible,says Mustafa.
He has already had telephone calls from prospective guests who want to know the opening hours.
The restaurant also offers a wide choice of drinks, including different kinds of tea and coffee. And there are also desserts to taste, such as baklava and sweet dates.
– The menu will be extended , but it must grow step by step. Now to begin with there will be a lot of people and the pressure will be high, so we'll present our new dishes gradually. But we'll be able to prepare most things, for the kitchen is equipped with everything we need, says Mustafa.
One of the guests, Amir Zater, says that he is pleased that there are more places to choose from for lunch in town . 'I love the authentic taste of the food'.
Mustafa tells us they invest a lot of time and effort in both the kitchen and the way they work. They have tried to find the best ingredients and products in co-operation with many local actors. The aim is to use as many Swedish products as possible but the methods of cooking will be inspired by influences from all over the Middle East.
There have been many challenges along the way, especially in face of the difficult economic situation in the world today. But Mustafa and his team are looking forward to a return to a more normal life where they can welcome guests to their restaurant again.
– We've done everything we can to create a place where our guests can feel at home and enjoy our food and service. We hope people will appreciate our work and come back to us again and again, says Mustafa with a smile.
The restaurant is not in the centre of Kristianstad, but Mustafa is sure that that will not hinder people from finding their way there.
– People don't mind having to travel a bit, what matters to them is how the food tastes. We're convinced that our guests will appreciate our food and the atmosphere, and will come back to us again and again.
– After their meal guests leave with a smile on their face, and a lot of them make positive comments to the staff. We can expect to see a lot of new faces in the future, he says.
You have a lot of vegetarian dishes, what is the idea behind that?
– We want to provide vegetarian dishes with influences from the Syrian and Lebanese cuisine that is our heritage. We think this is what our guests will like, because it lets them experience new flavours. We also think that vegetarian alternatives are important for guests who would like a healthier alternative.