Several municipalities want to get new prison – Hässleholm challenges Kristianstad
During the summer Kristianstad municipality announced their interest in extending the prison in Vä. The prison service is planning a prison with 300 places.This would generate around 250 jobs in the municipality. Nurses, prison officers, production managers and economists will be needed, for example.
Now there is a majority in Hässleholm municipal council in favour of a prison.
– Placing it in Hässleholm gives it a strategic position in southern Sweden. 250 new jobs would be very positive for development in the municipality, says Lars Johnsson (M), chairman of the council, in a press release.
The municipal council in Kristianstad found out about Hässleholm’s plans via the media.
– It’s an error of judgement. This is not how Kristianstad and Hässleholm should work together. Co-operation over the past ten years has been much better, says chairman of the council Pierre Månsson (L).
– We’ve got more to win by co-operating than by squabbling, he says.
– More neighbouring municipalities are interested in having the prison, for example Osby and Hörby. We must tackle this in a professional way. I don’t see anything strange in that, says Lars Johnsson (M).
– I think Hässleholm ought to let Kristianstad work on this question, says Pierre Månsson.
– We’re the only ones with a well-thought-out plan. We already have a prison here, and we can build a bigger one, says Pierre Månsson (L).