Newspaper carrier: "I'm glad I'm alive"
It was on the morning of August 12th that the police received the call - two naked and bloody men were running on a roof on JH Dahlsgatan in central Kristianstad. Ten police cars and seven ambulances were called to the scene. The police cordoned off an entire block and searched the buildings.
One of the naked men was a newspaper carrier who was being chased by the perpetrator.
Kristianstadsbladet has been in contact with the newspaper carrier. He has responded in writing. He didn’t want to speak in detail, the police investigation is ongoing.
The newspaper carrier writes that he doesn’t know the suspected perpetrator; he does not know who he is. The perpetrator forced the newspaper carrier to get naked. He was, he writes, "extremely scared".
What were you thinking?
– I thought I would not see my family again.
How did you escape from the suspected perpetrator?
– When he left the room, I managed to get up and get out on to the balcony. Then I jumped over the railing on the roof and ran as fast as I could.
Did he chase you?
– Yes. I heard the footsteps behind me.
How did you dare get through the window of the 19-year-old woman?
– I just thought that I had to jump and get in through the window so that I could see my family again, answers the newspaper carrier.
–During the escape I just felt pure panic. I was thinking don’t stop; just run until you can’t run anymore.
What do you think about the girl who helped you?
– I am extremely grateful that she was at home and that she didn’t just run away but helped me by reducing the bleeding and calling for help.
What injuries do you have? How did you get them?
– I can't say anything about this at the moment, no more than I have injuries and wounds to large parts of my body.
How are you feeling today?
– I feel extremely bad both physically and mentally. It’s very difficult to be around people and I don’t sleep well.
What are your thoughts now on what happened?
– The only thing I think is that I’m happy to be alive.
Would you like to work as a newspaper carrier again?
- As soon as I’ve recovered and feel ready, I will start working as a newspaper carrier again, he answers.
A 25-year-old man was caught and arrested on suspicion of the crime on August 12th. Three days later he was detained. He is suspected on reasonable grounds of one count of kidnapping and 2 counts of aggravated assault.
The 25-year-old denies all charges. The District Court has decided that he should undergo a psychiatric assessment by a doctor.