Jaballah: ”The worst thing I’ve ever experienced”
Jihed Jaballah had problems with his visa and was forced to stay in Frankfurt.
– It’s the worst thing I’ve ever experienced. I still can’t understand why they treated me the way they did. I had all my papers, and I’m a professional handball player. They treated me as if I were a terrorist, he says.
– I sat for 18 hours on a chair, without any food or water. I was so angry, it’s the first time I’ve experienced anything like it.
He asked to be allowed to go on to France, but was refused. Then he asked to be allowed to go back to Tunisia, but was made to go on to the embassy in Morocco. Once he was there, it took just five minutes at the embassy until all his papers were in order.
– It’s all just one big joke. But Jesper (Larsson Sports Director at IFK Kristianstad) and I sorted it out together. Now I’m so happy to be here.
During the summer he has visited his wife and son in Slovenia and been in the Caribbean with the national team.
”I sat for 18 hours on a chair, without any food or water. I was so angry”
Jaballah plays as an offensive line player in IFK Kristianstad. He has lost valuable time when he should have got to know his new teammates, but now he can’t wait to get started.
Why did you choose IFK Kristianstad?
– First of all it’s a great honour for me that the biggest club in Sweden wanted to have me. They play in Champions League.
It’s always been one of my goals to play for a big club in Europe. My aim is to win Everything I can with IFK Kristianstad.
”Tunisia, just like in Sweden, we have a tradition of handball”
He played all his career in his mother club Étoile Sportive du Sahel H.C. At the beginning of last season Jaballah moved to the Turkish club Eskisehir. His time there taught him a lot, but he didn’t develope much as a player.
– It wasn’t much of a challenge, I’m afraid. In Tunisia, just like in Sweden, we have a tradition of handball. Almost all the trainers in Tunisia are from France. In Turkey they didn’t reach the same level.
Have you learnt any Swedish ?
– No, I haven’t. I have an uncle and a cousin who live here, in any case. But I’m going to learn.
– I want to show that IFK Kristianstad made a good choice in bringing me here.
Footnote: First match of the season 3rd September at Kristianstad Arena, 7 pm. IFK Kristianstad meet Lugi HF from Lund.
From: Sousse, Tunisia.
Lives: in Kristianstad.
Family: Wife and four-month-old son in Slovenia. They will come to Kristianstad in January.
Interests: Played football as a boy. Likes fishing.
Languages: Arabic, French and English.
Clubs: Étoile Sportive du Sahel H. C.(-2018), Eskisehir (2018 – 19), IFK Kristianstad (2019 - )
In the news: One of IFK Kristianstad’s new players, will help IFK win the Swedish handball league.