Imam Abouzur on stopping the violence: "We will do what we can on our part"
After the prayer at the mosque in Gamlegården on January 24th, Imam Shaaban Abozour met leading politicians from Kristianstad Municipality.
400 people participated in the prayer, about 40-60 stayed to talk about the lack of security in the area.
– They asked the politicians many questions, including what the municipality is doing to make it better, what plans the police have, if the police will be strengthened, if any laws will be changed and if there is going to be harsher punishment for criminals, explains Shaaban Abozour.
Members of the Islamic assembly and other Muslims attend the prayer.
– Everyone must take responsibility in order for the situation to improve. There must be more actors and more fieldwork.
”We have struggled for a while. In the sermon and in classes we talk about how Islam views what is happening. Anything that can harm anyone in both words and actions is forbidden”imam Shaaban Abouzur, about islamic rules of behaviour
What was the result of the meeting?
– If we can all cooperate and it leads to a better situation then it’s good, we have to care about all children and young people - even those who make mistakes. I suggested that we get in touch with the Somali associations, Eritrean association, Albanian association, Kurdish and other associations. There are also three Shi'ite Muslim associations. We hope that these associations put themselves forward for an effective collaboration with ABK, the police and the municipality of course.
The Islamic congregation has been working on trying to create security for a long time.
– We have struggled for a while. In the sermon and in classes we talk about how Islam views what is happening. Anything that can harm anyone in both words and actions is forbidden. You must respect the needs of others for security and safety. This also applies to public property and public services.
We work with children and young people all the time, even with those who make mistakes. But not all children and young people come to us.
”We can get in touch with other associations, what we can do together. On our part, the Islamic congregation will continue to fight crime, violence, and hatred”Shaaban Abouzur
How do you view the development in society?
– I hope that it will get better, that efforts are made against violence and crime in the area and in Kristianstad. We on our part will do what we can and we will gather other actors.
What can you in the Islamic congregation do specifically?
– We suggested that we can get in touch with other associations, what we can do together. On our part, the Islamic congregation will continue to fight crime, violence, and hatred. And we help our members do provide the best care for their children and encourage everyone to participate in the night patrol to create security in the area.
Is there a timetable?
– No, I will contact the other associations and discuss how we should proceed as soon as possible, says Shaaban Abouzur.
The background to the meeting in the mosque was a call from politician Anders Tell (S).
– He asked if our members, whether the children and their families are worried about the situation. Unfortunately, that is the case! Anders got in touch with the Municipal Councillor Peter Johansson (M) and we welcomed them to meet our members. We appreciate the visit and the information they gave our members.