Delicious easy-to-make baklava
– It is called baklava because it is full of flavour. It contains a lot of butter, for example, says Ilham Assad.
The filling can vary.
– You can use pistachio nuts, cashews or walnuts. It’s all a matter of taste. I like pistachios, they taste very nice, she says.
Start by making the syrup.
1,25 dl water
2,25 dl sugar
0,5 dl lemon juice
Boil for about 5 minutes and leave to cool.
250 gr filo pastry
250 gr melted butter
250 gr pistachio nuts
1 tablespoonful vanilla powder
1 teaspoonful cinnamon
Set the oven at 160’C
1. Mix the pistachios with the cinnamon and the vanilla powder.
2. Chop the mixture coarsely in a mixer
3. Melt the butter and let it cool.
4. Grease a baking-tin with a little of the butter.
5. Roll out the filo pastry. Spread out one sheet at a time and butter it.
6. Repeat until you have four or five layers of filo pastry on top of one another.
7. Sprinkle finely-chopped pistachio nuts along one of he short sides of the filo pastry.
8. Form the pastry into a roll.
9. Cut into pieces of the desired thickness and place them on a greased baking-tray.
10. Bake on the middle shelf for 30-40 minutes until the baklava is golden-brown.
11. Pour the warm syrup carefully over the baklava.