Chickpea hamburgers – the pupils’ favourite
Kitchen staff at Göinge Ubildningscenter like to try out their own recipes.
– We made up the recipe for chickpea hamburgers together. We add a new spice, someone suggests another ingredient, the recipe can vary from one time to another, says Jessica Lundgren, the cook.
250 pupils in classes F-6, as well as adult students, eat in the school canteen.
– These hamburgers are surprisingly tasty. A lot of the pupils back off when vegetarian food is on the menu, but they eat up these hamburgers, she says.
In addition there are ten or twelve different salads on the menu every day, something the staff are proud of.
– And when we have soup, we always bake our own bread.
Vegetarian chickpea hamburgers
2 x 400 gr cans chickpeas
1 small can sweetcorn
1 large carrot
1 clove of garlic
2 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tsp cumin
0,5 tsp salt
Pinch of pepper
1 tbsp Maizena corn starch
Butter or margarine for frying
1. Rinse the chickpeas well and let them drain. Peel and finely chop the onion and the garlic, grate the carrot.
2. Mash the chickpeas, onion, garlic and parsley in a mixer.
3. Stir in sweetcorn, salt, pepper, cumin, Maizena, carrot and egg to make an even mixture. Form into hamburgers, about 1 cm thick.
4. Fry in butter over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes per side.
5. Serve with potato wedges or mashed potatoes and tzatziki.