Bureaucracy put a spanner in the works for Rami Iskif
When Rami Iskif was an asylum seeker, he studied Swedish on his own. He was also very active socially. When he received a residence permit, he registered at Arbetsförmedlingen (AF - the Job Centre) and started SFI.
– Why do you have to learn the language at SFI? I was hoping to get a place on a fast track for pharmacists and quickly get onto the labour market. But AF denied me that, says Rami Iskif.
He started studying Swedish at level "C fast" at SFI. He quickly finished. He got stuck on level D for seven months. The teacher would not allow him to do the general knowledge test.
– At SFI I did not know what requirements existed to pass the course, only that the teacher had the power to assess it. During that whole time, nobody at AF spoke to me, he says. Folkuniversitetet helped him to do the test and finish SFI.
– Then I quickly passed basic level and Swedish as second language level 1.
At Folkuniversitetet he studied the course "the short path" a preparation for the labour market. At the same time he continued to study Swedish.
”I think social conditions are more important than the language. AF needs to become more active locally.”
– I wanted to continue with the course "the short path" for pharmacists, but I missed the chance because my case officer was ill for five months. When they changed my case officer, it took a lot of time for the new one to get familiarised with my case. It was not good at all, he says.
Rami Iskif thinks that AF made a very narrow definition of what jobs he could take as a pharmacist. He believes that AF sometimes lacks planning, monitoring and the ability to make good assessments on what is suitable for academics.
After all the disappointments, in September 2017, Rami Iskif chose to continue his studies with a Master’s degree.
– I also had problems this summer. Then I registered at AF, but I did not get an internship like I wanted, instead they sent me to the social welfare service. There I got to apply for benefits and was forced to do an activity with packing. Luckily, a teacher at the university helped me with an internship.
– I believe that social conditions are more important than language. AF needs to become more active locally, with experienced employees who understand us. My friends in the north have better chances to get a job than we do in Skåne.
Rami Iskif is concerned about the future, what should he do when his studies end.
– Either I get a job or I continue studying and do a doctorate.